Sunday, June 22, 2008

Blood Sport

Blood Sport......

I was walking hurriedly. It was a crowded street. The sun glared mercilessly at me. Thrice, I bumped [unknowingly i believe] into strangers, all too busy even to glance back. I kept walking on past meandering hawkers and deformed beggars. There were tall buildings , looking quite out of place, in this ragged haven; like some grand travesty of a capital which long-ago lay forgotten. Dust and grime lay spattered on the cobbled streets ; paths twisting and turning into nothingness. Sweat drenched me and I was out of breath. I stopped in front of an old tavern; thirst was teasing my throat s i licked my cracked lips. I wiped my brow with my sleeve and looked around. I felt as if I were a mere speck which had momentarily ceased to watch the other specks in a fevered frenzy. I stepped upto the wooden door which creaked as i pushed it open. I stepped and saw inside. Every single eye ; save the bar-keep's, was upon me. I felt the air become unseemingly hot [though it was quite cool inside really] as i pulled a rickety stool and sat upon it facing a round table which seemed roughly carved out of wood . I saw an old dusty glass bottle upon it. Even as i reached for it, there was a earsplitting sound and I fell from the stool which had cracked and.....................

My eyes opened unwillingly. I was forced back into reality. I looked around, it was a dream. The bus I was travelling in had encountered a nasty bump on the road.. which was the real reason for my stool breaking somewhere ,which I didn't even know existed or not. I rubbed my eyes and stifled a yawn. Something poked in the side pocket of my suit; I gingerly put my hand and pulled out my Employee Card: It read
Employee Id:s071960
Employee Name: David Fletcher
Authorization : level 05


I smiled at the sight of my own face peering at me from behind a coat of plastic.
I flipped the card over... there was a bar-code - my medium of entry at the place where I work - National Security & Protection Agency [NSPA]. The print said I was head for the Dept. of Logistics. The Bus jerked so violently i almost let go of my card. A cool female voice said ' Passengers may kindly note : We have reached Westwood : Those whose stops are the same may kindly alight. Thank You. We look forward to have you travel with us again'. I hastily put my card in my inside pocket, smoothed the front of my shirt, ran a hand through my hair and alighted as the automated door closed behind me. The Bus had left me along with a lot of exhaust smoke for company. I pulled out a piece of paper from my pocket in which a curly, stylish handwriting said ' Number 25/B , Delpeiro, Western Bouleward'. I put it back and started walking hastily.
I crossed the road and hired a taxi.
In 15 minutes, I reached my destination. I paid the driver a crisp 20$ note,without collecting my change , stretched myself. People like me were more content sitting in a creaky chair with a desk whole day rather than travel using all means ! I saw my watch, it was just 4.30. I was a good half an hour before schedule. I always liked to be before time. I glanced around and saw what i wanted- a lemonade stall : Even as i was half way through, I felt a heavy blow on the side of my head, eyes watering in pain and feeling as my head would explode,,,,,,,,,,,,, I collapsed.............. I slowly started feeling pain on the top of my head but i could not open my eyes,,,,,, Something cold splashed against my face,,,,,,,,,,, slowly I my eyes,,,, I was lying spread eagled... my wrists burning , numb,,,,, my head paining like hell........ I managed to crawl myself into a sitting position against a dank wall. I gingerly lifted my arm and felt my head,,,, it was swollen.. and dried blood caked it. I saw,, it was 6.00 in my watch which had cracked. I looked around the room .. a sleek silver briefcase lay there along with a scrap of paper.
Suddenly something vibrated violently inside my suit, I nearly had heart-failure. I pulled out my Communicator and saw an unknown number flashing. I pressed the green button and in a broken voice said 'hello' .
A gruff voice said 'Do as u r told and ur life wil b spared. U r where you were. Take the briefcase and the paper has all the instructions. Follow them word to word,,,,,, and a handsome reward awaits you. The door is to your right. Good Day'. beep.......... the call got disconnected. I took the suitcase and proceeded to the door , punch-drunk. twice I rebounded off the door-frame; it seemed to knock some sense in me. i grasped the handle and steeped unto the same street where I seemed to have been knocked out. I felt like Alice in Wonderland;
I walked brisquely........



1 comment:

Anubha said...

hey nice one ..
i must say i'm amazed at ur vocab..
u write like one of those novel writers.. describing every action, and every character in detail ..!!
but does dis story end here? seems to have an abrupt end. is der more to it?